Exactly How To Use Toner To Instantly Brighten Up The Skin
Toners are used post-cleansing and before any additional step. For the correct sequence of items in your morning and night skin routine, read The Right Order To Apply Skincare Products.
What Does Skin Toner Do
Moving on, there are mainly 3 types of toning solutions, :
– Astringents (containing 20-60% alcohol)
– Skin tonics (containing less than 20% alcohol)
– Skin fresheners (containing little to no alcohol)
Skin tonics are best suited for normal to oily, combination, or acne-prone skin. They can help control excess oil production and shrink pores.
While, skin fresheners are great for people with normal to dry, dehydrated or sensitive skin. These milder variants have more humectants that aid in locking moisture.
Why Is Toner Important
Both types of toners can have various other important functions, which include regulating pH level, increasing penetration, exfoliating, prepping the skin, and removing leftover residue or chemicals from tap water.
You should look for water-based products as opposed to traditional alcohol-based. Glycerine, witch hazel, tea tree, and rose water are commonly found ingredients.
For those of you who need some product inspiration, take a look at IPSY’s 10 best toners of 2020, or surf the web for other reviews. I’ve even listed out 7 DIY toner options, which can be excellent for sensitive skin or those on a budget.
How To Use Toner
Once you’ve found the tonic water of your choice, it’s just as important to apply it properly.
1. After cleansing, gently pat dry your face with a towel. How To Wash Your Face Properly: Explained Using 9 Science-Proven Steps is a must-read to learn the proper technique for this! Unlike lotions, toners work best when applied to totally dry skin.
How To Apply Toner To Skin
2. Now, you can use either use your hands or a cotton pad.
Using the hands saves a lot of product because cotton does have a super-high absorbency. It also gives the skin more moisture. However, this option will only dilute chemicals but not remove them completely.
While cotton balls/pads are a tad more hygienic. They also wipe off remaining residue instead of letting it sit on top.
Taking these factors in mind, choose which method you wish to follow.
For those of you who are highly enthusiastic, why not try double toning? To double tone, first, use the cotton pad to wipe off the initial gunk. Then, use your hands for an extra boost.
How To Apply Toner With Hands
3. If you choose your bare hands, add some toner into the palm of a hand, and pat it on. Concentrate on the t-zone, gradually moving outwards. Do the same on the neck, but go upwards this time.
How To Apply Toner With Cotton Ball
4. Whereas for cotton pads, you want to add enough quantity to let it get somewhat soaked. Wipe the pad onto the whole face and neck, with light pressure.
5. Once you’re done, there’s no need to wait for the toner to dry. Adding on serum or moisturizer straight afterward can actually keep the skin really hydrated.
For especially oily skin, you can wait for it to dry. Depending on the toner, this takes anywhere from a few seconds to a minute.
I hope you found this post on why and how to use toners informative. I have quick guides for other skincare items as well, so please take a read if you feel like it.